Here’s the outline programme to help you plan your weekend. It’s a packed agenda with something for everyone. Please note times are approximate and the programme is subject to change. Find our more about our Speakers
14.00 Inner Wheel session. The London Cage: Britain’s WWII Interrogation Centre and Most Closely Guarded Secret – Dr Helen Fry. Rotarians are welcome to attend the session at 2pm. Lunch prior to the session should be booked through Inner Wheel.
16.00 Rotary D1090 Conference Session 1
- Gillian Pearce, D1090 District Governor
- Vicki Mountford, Inner Wheel District 9 Chair
- Rotary Worldwide: Holger Knaack, Representative of Rotary International president
- Message from Debbie Hodge, RIBI President
- New district initiative: Ian Griffith, Burnham Beeches Rotary
- Keynote: Making a 500 year old warship appeal to a 21st Century Audience – Christopher Dobbs, Head of Interpretation, Mary Rose Trust
17.50 Close. Enjoy a drink at the bar and have the chance to talk with our speakers and guests. Or for those not staying for the buffet, head off for dinner in one of Portsmouth’s many restaurants and come back for the entertainment.
18.45 Hot Buffet (pre-booked)
20.00 Evening entertainment at the Guildhall, featuring Portsmouth’s Urban Vocal Group and the Royal Marines Association Band.
09.00 Rotary Showcase opens – come and meet all our exhibitors; some old friends, some joining us for the first time. Find out more about them on the Showcase page.
09.30 Conference Session 2
- Gillian Pearce, District Governor
- Rotary’s 2018-19 Theme: Holger Knaack, RI Representative
- Keynote: Be The Inspiration – Andy Lewis, Paralympian and Mentor
11.15 Conference Session 3
- Malaria Panel – Gillian Pearce, Ian Priestley, Brian Stoyel, facilitated by Dave King
- Getting Involved in District Youth Activities – Chas Cairns, District 1090 Youth Officer
- Inspiring and Empowering Young People – Rotarian Tim Mason
- Introducing Rotary Scholars – Karen Eveleigh, District 1090 Foundation Chair
- Bringing fun and happiness into the lives of disadvantaged children – Gordon Moulds, Kids Out
12.45 Lunch – Grab bag lunch included in delegate rate, to allow time to enjoy the Showcase. Presidents and their partners are invited to the DG’s reception and a photocall at the start of the lunch break.
14.00 Conference Session 4
- Think Differently workshop with RIBI Public Image team members Irene Russell and Phil Dyer. Get ready to take a fresh look at Rotary and how our clubs impact the community.
15.45 Choice of breakout sessions or visit the Showcase
- Why Public Image and Membership Sit Hand in Hand
- Dementia Friends Information Session
- Academia and the Real World: challenging norms, learning from experience, building partnerships.
Find out more about these session on the Speakers page
19.30 for 20.00 Dinner and dance at Boathouse 7 in the Historic Dockyard
09.45 Conference Session 5
- Into the Disaster Zone interactive session with Steve Amoss, Shelterbox Response Volunteer
- Ebola Project Update – Brian Jonson, Marlow Rotary
- 20 Years of Innovation – Dr Syed Masud, Thames Valley Air Ambulance
11.45 Conference Session 6
- End Polio Q&A with Judith Diment and Dave King
- Closing Remarks – Holger Knaack, RI Representative
- George McGavin, entomologist, presenter and explorer
- Conference 2020 promotion – Frank Quinn, District Governor Elect